Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shoulder 1...Windshield 0

I'm out for my usual evening ride on a Wednesday night. Nothing strange. I've got my lights on front and back and I am almost home, about 4 blocks away. Riding through Wascana park, I am on the road, the proper side riding legally, when BANG! I'm on a windshield and then sliding off the hood of a minivan. Some knob just turned across the road and T bones me.

My mind is racing as I'm sliding off the hood when he finally stops. "Who is this guy?" "Did he hit me on purpose?", "Is he gonna drive away", "What the hell happened?".

He stops and I'm slumped in front of his vehicle, he gets out and asks if I'm OK. I must be because I'm swearing up a storm at him. "What the F*** is he doing?" I was SO angry.

Then I noticed the sharp pain in my left shoulder. He asks if I'm OK again. Then I really think about it . "Am I OK?" i do the quick system check and really only notice my aching shoulder. It feels strange. I try to move it, it doesn't go. The i just grabbed it and it went *pop* and it felt normal then OUCH more pain. I just popped my shoulder back in place. I attempt to stand up.
I succeed. Hm mm no pain in the legs. That is great news. Meanwhile the guy is on the phone with 911 trying to get me an ambulance. His wife and he watch as I stand up, looking astonished the the dude who just cratered their windshield is actually standing up and walking around. I do another systems check as I'm standing now. Feeling more alive as the aching is creeping up in my shoulder again. "I don't need an ambulance." I say. He looks at me astonished. The lady on the phone asks to speak to me and they send a police car. They get there, write him up a ticket and give me a ride home.

It never really occurred to me that it actually happened until i saw the crater in the windshield. Wow it is real. "OK hows the bike?" I look for it. I was about 20 feet away behind me. it looks in one piece. That's a good thing. Have to take it in to the bike shop to see if the frame is bent. update on this later.

I feel OK now. My shoulder is iced I took some Advil. Hopefully i can sleep. Will see tomorrow how things are. I will update as I get some results. Seems like my shoulder took all the brunt of the impact.

The driver tells me he cleans the park bathrooms every night and was driving his normal route. He just never saw me. He was turning left and I just happened to be riding where he was driving. I have a really bright strobing light on the front of my bike. IT is bright enough that it hurts the eyes to look at it. I don't know how he didn't see me. Must not have been paying attention. He says he never saw me. I look at my bike lying on the ground as its lights are still on and bright as ever. What a dumb ass. He didn't see me until i was on his windshield so he didn't hit his brakes until then either.

No comments: